This last week was difficult for a variety of reasons, but mostly for the sadness I feel when I think of and miss my mom. Her 61st birthday was one week ago on August 3rd. I spent the week at the cottage where the kids, my dad, and I celebrated by doing a little bargain shopping - an activity she would have thoroughly enjoyed! We also made cupcakes and while eating one, Russell took a bite, held it up in the air, looked at the sky, and said "this is for you Grammy!" Sloane then replied, "I hope Grammy isn't upset if we eat all her cupcakes." I reassured her that what Grammy would want most is for us to eat every last morsel! Running continues to be my source of therapy during these difficult days. I lace up my sneakers and my mind slowly begins to clear. I had terrific runs while on Mackinac Island last weekend and now that I am back home, I am looking forward to lots of great runs with my friend Leigh. I am now 1/2 way through marathon training. Last week was my 10th week and I have 10 more weeks to go until race day! I am also proud to say that I have now raised $1,501.00 for the American Cancer Society's Team DetermiNation!!! Thanks to everyone that has supported me!!! It feel great to be running for such a wonderful purpose!
Quote of the week: "Everyone who has run knows that its' most important value is in removing tension and allowing a release from whatever other cares the day may bring." -Jimmy Carter
Quote of the week: "Everyone who has run knows that its' most important value is in removing tension and allowing a release from whatever other cares the day may bring." -Jimmy Carter
1 comment:
Hey Kirsten...
I think about you and the kids all of the time. I saw a family at the falls who were proudly supporting Gladwin on their t-shirts. I asked if they knew Mr. and Mrs. Sleeper. The girl who was at my table looked at me and said with a smile, "She was my teacher. I really liked her, she was really nice." The girl looked young, like she may have been in one of Your Mom's last classes... I remembered how much Gail loved to get letters from her students, and to write back of course... So I suggested the girl write about her trip to Tahquamenon Falls in a journal. She said she already started :-)
It's amazing how much of an impact one person can have in just 60 years...
I hope you are well. Take care!
Post a Comment