Thursday, August 20, 2009

Water, Woods, and Wild Adventures in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Whether I am floating in the water on a blow up chair or waking to the sound of the pitter patter of rain on the roof of the cottage, I am in Heaven on round lake! What made the last ten days so special is the fact my own children are now making marvelous memories at the cottage. I grew up spending every summer on round lake in our family cottage. The memories I have are endless… swimming, fishing, riding the wave runner, exploring the woods, building sand castles, walking the path along the lake, eating Grandma’s cookies or Aunt Mary’s popcorn, riding the paddle boat, visiting friends and relatives, I could go on and on! Russell and Sloane now have all of these memories as well. Today while making the 6-hour drive home, Russell declared that his favorite activity was “jumping off the paddle boat” into the lake. I am sure Sloane’s best adventure was riding Uncle Keith’s sea doo. I still cannot believe my 2-year-old was brave enough to let her uncle take her out on that crazy machine! She waved back at us the entire time while squealing with glee! Mac continues to amaze us by his swimming technique. I have yet to see a dog of his size and nature take on the lake as he does. Aron enjoyed fishing outings with my dad as well as a day of golf. I rejoiced during the kids’ naptime by fully indulging in the sun or taking a relaxing boat ride around the lake! Making the annual trip to the cottage isn’t exactly the same now that I have two little ones (and a dog) to chase around. There were definitely moments I questioned my sanity, but good and bad, I always hate to see the vacation come to an end.


Happy Birthday Aunt Mary!

Driving Papa's boat.
Driving Papa's "fast" boat!
Soaking my feet in the sun.
Ahhhh! This is life!

Making cookies with Mom and Grammy...mmmm...chocolate!
Russell riding with Uncle Keith on the sea doo.

Sloane's turn!

Lots of fun on the paddle boat!

Russell began to grow fins and gills by the end of the week!

The kids helped Papa fix the bridge over the creek.

Bath time outside! This was so adorable!!!

1 comment:

Liza said...

Awesome pics. So glad you were able to enjoy the summer days fully without a paper weighing over your head. We are making the 12+ hour drive home tomorrow and I hope to blog about our fun adventures in MN soon. Have a great week. Make it be filled with fun, running, yoga and a glass or two of wine! Miss you