Sunday, January 25, 2009

Enjoying the Play-doh pancakes of life!

As a working mom, I sometimes get caught up in all the craziness of keeping my schedule on schedule! I am consumed with crossing t's and dotting i's. When my routine doesn't go quite as I expect it to, I can almost feel my head begin to spin and smoke stream out of my ears. This week was no exception. I was a bit overwhelmed with my to-do lists at work and home. On Saturday morning, I woke up and decided to chill out! Sometimes I need to remember to sit down, breathe, and take a look around at all the wonderful things in my life. When visiting with an elderly friend last week, she shared a quote with me; "The best things in life aren't actually things." This is so true. As I whipped up a batch of pancakes Saturday morning, I took a moment to look at my children playing beside me making their own play-doh pancakes, cookies, hot dogs, and spaghetti. Russell was so enthusiastic about his cookie cutter shapes while Sloane was squealing with glee as she rolled out a pancake. I remained in pajamas for most of Saturday and wore a smile all day as I played with my "best things in life." What I learned this weekend... take a step back, look around, put down that to-do list, and remember to growl like a pirate before bed... everything else will still be there tomorrow!!!

ARRRRRGH!

2 comments:

Liza said...

Way to go mom! You said it, I find myself doing the same thing, getting caught up in the to-do's completely missing some of the amazing and fun stuff that is going on right under my nose. So glad you had a little revelation...seems we had one together. I just posted a poem that I read today hoping it would remind me (and others) of these same facts! Even though we aren't next door neighbors during these fun and crazy stages, I am so glad we have these blogs to keep us semi connected! Take care and continue to be the SUPER MOM that you are!

Brandi said...

Wow, Kirsten. You hit that one right on! I have had those moments myself1 It is so easy to get caught up in all that needs to be done in a day or week! Good for you for recognizing it and stepping back! I am sure the kids had a wonderful weekend b/c of it!