Sunday, January 13, 2013

Russell the Wrestler!

With Aron's history as a wrestler, Russell was hardly going to find an escape from the sport.  Fortunately, the apple doesn't seem to have fallen very far from the tree because Russell LOVES the sport.  When the opportunity arose this fall to sign him up for a winter wrestling club in a nearby town, Russell was anxious to begin.  He practices 4 hours a week and Aron is there coaching and rooting him on the entire time.  Yesterday, was Russell's first wrestling tournament.  Aron and Russell were out the door by 6:30 a.m. and heading to weigh-in at Howell High School.  Sloane and I met them there a few hours later in time to see the first match.  My stomach flipped and flopped as if I was preparing for a marathon.  I had never attended a wrestling meet before and had no idea what to expect.  Then to imagine my child in the center of it all, duking it out...  I was a nervous wreck!  Well, I quickly got over being nervous and was cheering loudly on the sidelines. Although Russell fought hard and showed good technique, he did not have a win (this time).  He was such a great sport!  Aron and I were very proud.  Most importantly, he had fun and so did we!  Tournament #2 is next week.  




No comments: